4/15/2008

Round ligament pain

I experienced something almost scary today. While I was napping I woke up because I was freezing. I then moved myself up to a more upright position and I had a sharp stabbing pain in my lower side of my belly. Wow I was awake right away. I was just thinking " I just ripped out the baby out of its place" This is how it felt. It went away pretty much afterwards. But still it was scary for a second.

This is what I researched and I have heard it before:

It typically feels like you are being stabbed in the abdomen with a knife and is extremely painful for 2-5 seconds, then quickly resolves and you have a residual ache in the same area for 10-15 minutes. Usually happens when lying down and changing positions, or moving suddenly. There is good news and bad news. Good news: There is nothing wrong with you or the baby. Bad news: This is really painful and there is little that can be done about it. Round ligament pain is caused by a stretching of the ligaments that hold the uterus upright. These ligaments are typically about 3 cm in the non-pregnant state and stretch to a length of greater than 10 cm in the pregnant state. Any movement that pulls these ligaments further is rewarded with intense pain and a sudden urge to return to the previous position that had no pain associated with it!

No comments: