10/24/2008

hospital run the first

After all that running to the doctor this morning, we finally got home to relax. As I am standing in the kitchen, I felt I peed in my pants. haha. Yes it sounds funny and it was funny. Well kinda. I was surprised and didn't know what to think, until I decided to call the hospital " better safe than sorry". They told me to come in immediately to make sure my water didn't just break. So DH and I went there ( took the hospital bag just in case as recommended ) and they did a big check up on me. They tested me on amnionic fluid, took blood, put me on the baby monitor again ( for 45 min ), and it showed again that I am contracting but still not more than 15 min apart. The baby is doing wonderful and seemed to sleep all day ( of course just during the doctors appointment and to wake up full force after I left the clinic ) ;) However, the L&D doctor checked a few other things and she said that it doesn't seem much longer. Of course I could easily go another week or so but she said, it could change within 1 day or 2.

She asked me what I think about an epidural and I've told her that I am pretty open minded about it and that I did all the paperwork for it. She smiled at me and said " The way you describe me your Braxton Hicks contractions.........believe me: You want an epidural" I didn't know if I should take that in a funny way or not but I laughed and replied that I most likely will.

Before that I 've asked the midwife there ( yes here in germany we have midwives they support you through the whole labor ) and they are pro natural birth, when she would think a good time would be to come in for true labor. She answered when my contractions are 3 min apart. I was a bit shocked and I've told her that I am living 30 min away and that would be quite painful. I then spoke to the doctor later on and she shook her head and smiled and said " If you wait until you are 3 min apart, you are most likely dialeted 4-5 cm maybe and then it will be maybe to late for an epidural. My recommendation is: If you can no talk through the contractions anymore, come in., no matter how far apart they are from each other. We will check on you, if you are still just a 1 or a 2, we put you on the monitor, maybe wait an hour, start the epidural and you have the baby out like nothing !" I loved her from this point on haha.

Ok seriously.....eventhough it was a lot of checking today with hardly no outcome, I felt good that I have been there at the hospital today to get " a feeling " of it. They both told me if I am having bad contractions again tonight I still can come in nevertheless or if the contractions get worse, just to show up and they will take care of me.

I hope that I will be able to sleep tonight after just 2.5 hours of sleep last night and just wait what will happen. I do assume I will go another week like that but hopefully not much longer. We will see.. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just FYI i was able to wait till 7 to get my epi... amanda